Thursday

Zerah Pulsipher


Born 24 June 1789 to John Pulsipher and Elizabeth Dutton
Married Mary Ann Brown 18 August 1825
Zerah-Mary Ann-Adelia-Mary Ann-Dixie
Died 1 January 1872 in Hebron
Buried in Hebron

1850 Census
1860 Census
1870 Census


Scans of Zerah Pulsipher's papers

The following is Zerah's personal history:

I was born 24 June 1789. The name of my parents was John and Elizabeth Pulsipher. My grandfather, David Pulsipher was supposed to have been a descendant from Ireland. I have not much knowledge of his ancestors. He brought a family to Connecticut, New England. In the year 1769 he came to a new state called Vermont, went up the Connecticut River to Bellows Falls. He went 5 miles back to a place afterwards called Rockingham, an entire wilderness country where seldom a blow had been struck by a white man. There he selected a place and obtained 500 acres of land and prophesied or predicted things that would take place in years to come. He predicted a site for a meeting house, burying ground back of it and a town site where water power was erected.

He cleared some land, built a public house or tavern, helped establish a settlement and converted the wilderness into a fruitful field. This is where I was born. When the Revolutionary War commenced, my father was young and being away from home one day he heard that the British Army had destroyed some military stores at Concord, New Hampshire. Being fired with indignation he sought for a recruiting officer and enlisted for one campaign and when he returned home informed his father of the circumstances. The old gentleman told him that he was too young and that he would enlist and go with him. Accordingly, he did, and they both went to Boston, Massachusetts, and fought in the memorable Battle of Bunker Hill the 17th of June 1775. There they stood and fought side by side with about 13 Americans against three thousand British for about two hours. When the enemy, after firing Charleston, and wending around under the smoke, had nearly surrounded that wing of their own army when they saw but a small gap to retreat through which was then continually plowing the ground with balls from the cannons. While they were going out, my grandfather saw one of our men wounded and crawling away on his hands and knees. In the meantime a British soldier ran him through with a bayonet. Being filled with indignation at such a breach of the law of all civilized nations, he immediately stopped amid scenes of death and carnage, loaded his gun and shot that man down before he left the ground. He then obtained a safe retreat. I speak of this to let my posterity know that our ancestors were clothed with that steady unshaken determination in time of the eminent danger that are incident to human life.

In a few weeks after this my grandfather died with cramp rheumatism in his breast (no doubt a heart ailment). My father served his time out and returned home and attended the cares of a family. He married Elizabeth Dutton and raised a large family of seven sons and three daughters. My oldest brother’s name was Oliver, who raised a large family in the state of New York on Lake Ontario. The second was David, who raised a family living with my rather in Vermont, where he died. John also married but had no children. Solomon married and died in the war of 1812 – without children. I am the next, have raised a large family. Elijah has raised a family. Arunah the 7th has a family. My oldest sister, Elizabeth married and raised a family by a man by the name of Lloyd (Lord) E. Archer. Polly, my second sister, married a man by the name of Dexter Newton, raised a family in the state of New Hampshire. My sister Sibble married a man by the name of Abram Neuburg and lived in the state of Ioway (Iowa).

My father was absolute in his family government, kind and affectionate to all his friends. His common practice was to make a feast once in a year and invite some of the poorest people that were in the town. He seemed to take pleasure in their company. I lived with him 25 years and never knew him to turn a beggar away empty. He lived to be 78 and my mother 86.

But to return to my own history. When I was eight or nine years old I frequently had serious reflections, but never prayed. When I was a small boy my father was taken sick. For some time I was much concerned till I heard some of the neighbors say that Mr. Pulsipher must die. This put me to thinking that if my father should die that large family of small children would be left without a head to the winter, subject to many disasters that were incident to human life. I could not bear the thought. An impression immediately came to me that I must go to the barn and there pray for his recovery. I turned and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. When I got there about to bow down something informed me that if I did I should die there and never return, which scared me so that I turned and ran back as fast as I came. But my Father in Heaven took the will of the deed and restored my father to health.

I attended school occasionally. The schoolmaster boarded at our home. Nothing of important nature happened for a number of years until I was about 14 or 15 years of age. One evening as I was sitting by the fireside in my father’s kitchen alone, a sudden influence overpowered my mind to such an extent that I lost sight of everything on earth. For some time, I knew not how long, but suffice it to say that it was necessary that more preparation should be made before I should be willing to pass the vale of death. Though I could not be reconciled to souls left in Hell fire to all Eternity, as I had been taught by the sectarians who taught Hell fire and eternal damnation. I could not believe a word of it, still there were some things among the sects that appeared reasonable. I have often heard my father say that the signs of Christ’s Second Coming were often seen and that He would come before many years should pass away. If he did not live to see it, likely his children would.

When I was about 19 I was the oldest boy at home and had much hard work. We had a large farm and I had the heaviest part to bear. In the fall we had near 1000 bushels of apples to make into cider and put in the cellar. I was ambitious and worked hard. In the winter I went to school. I went as a student to a skilled doctor, but desired that kind of life would not do for me. Returned home as my health was poor and I was not able to labor much for about two years. Then I concluded to go to work if it killed me. An old Irishman who lived near my father was a good shoemaker and offered me his farm on shares. I began to labor very moderately and when I came near fainting and my eyes failed me I would sit down then gained strength so that by fall I could do a reasonable days work. That winter I married a very agreeable companion, lived with her about one year when she died leaving one child which we named Harriet. After the death of my wife, Polly or Mary Randell, I had some anxiety about her state and condition consequently in answer to my desire in a few weeks she came to me in a visitation and sat by my side and assisted me in singing a hymn beginning thus: "That Glorious Day is drawing near when Zion’s light shall shine. . ." This she did with seeming composure. This visitation took away all the anxiety of my mind concerning her in as much as she seemed to enjoy herself well. This hymn which she introduced and sang with me applied to the great work of the last days in the last dispensation of the fullness of times. This transpired about ten years before Joseph Smith had discovered the first revelation of the work of the last days. My mind became calm as respecting her condition in the Spirit World.

The year 1814 I hired a firm at Bellows Falls on the Connecticut River. Being alone, I gave my brother John the privilege of working with me. In the fall of that season there were the most extraordinary Northern lights that I had seen. It was the cause of many speculative notions among the people. But my father said it was the signs of the last days and of the Second Coming of Christ. I regarded my father’s remarks as specimens of good sense. I soon wound up my business in that country and went to Pennsylvania in Susquehanna County, a new country where there was much good timber. I built a mill, cleared a farm and married a wife by the name of Mary Brown, a very agreeable companion. We had a large family of kind children. I stayed in that country about eight years rafting on the Susquehanna River and laboring very hard. Many times my life was much exposed. I moved to Onondaga County in the state of New York. I then lost my only son in the fall of a tree, which caused much grief to me.

In that place I had many agreeable friends and good society. I bought a farm and built a mill. I also built a meeting house for the Baptist Church, which I was then associated with. The minister and I being friends. In the summer of 1831 I heard a minister speak of an ancient record of Golden Bible in Manchester, near Palmyra, which remark struck me like electricity. The thought came to me that it might be something that would give light to my mind upon principles that I had been thinking of for years. Many times I had remarked that if the pure church with its gifts and grace was on the earth I had not found it. I would be happy enough to find it in my day. There was a Book of Mormon brought into town. I succeeded in getting it. I read it through twice, gave it a thorough investigation and believed it was true. In the winter following, Jared Carter came that way from a mission to Vermont of Lake George. As soon as he came into town I with my two Methodist preachers went to see him, asking about the principles of the ancient gospel with all its gifts. I asked if he believed it and he answered in the affirmative. Then I asked him if he obeyed those principles. He said he did. I asked him if he had ever laid hands on the sick and if they had recovered. He said he had in many instances. He preached the following evening to a crowded congregation. He held up the Book of Mormon and declared it to be a revelation from God. I could not gainsay anything he had said. He sat down and gave liberty for remarks. The congregation seemed to be in a maze, not knowing what to think of what they had heard. I arose and said to the congregation that we had been hearing strange things and if they were true they were of the utmost importance to us. If not true it was one of the greatest impositions. The preacher said that he had got his knowledge from Heaven and was nothing but a man and I the same, that I had just as good a right to obtain that blessing as he. Therefore, I was determined to have that knowledge for myself as I considered it my privilege. From that time on I made it a matter of fervent prayer. I think about the seventh day as I was thrashing in the barn with the doors shut all at once there seemed to be a ray of light from heaven which caused me to stop work for a short time, but soon began it again. In a few minutes another light came over my head which caused me to look up. I thought I saw the angels with the Book of Mormon in their hands in the attitude of showing it to me and saying this is the Revelation of the last days in which all things spoken of the prophets must be fulfilled. The vision was open and plain that I began to rejoice exceedingly so that I walked the length of my barn crying, "Glory Hallaluly to God and the Lamb forever." For some time it seemed a little difficult to keep my mind in the proper state of reasonable order I was so filled with the joys of Heaven, but when my mind became calm, I called the church together and informed that of what I had seen, told them that I had found the gospel I had been looking for for a number of years, of my determination to join the Church of Latter-day Saints. I embraced it accordingly, in the fall of 1831, and a large body of the church went with me. I was ordained to the office of an Elder and went to preaching with considerable success at home and abroad. I had the privilege of baptizing Wilford Woodruff on 31 December 1833 at Richland, New York.

At length there came one or two Elders there with enthusiastic spirits which led the church into diversion which caused me a journey of 325 miles to get council to settle the difficulty. I remained in that part preaching in regions around and had the privilege of baptizing many into the Kingdom until the spring of 1835 when I gathered up the remnants of the church and went to Kirtland. There I assisted in the building of the Temple. In the winter of 1836 I received my first endowment in that house with about 300 Elders.

There was a man with a family came into the church who lived about 15 miles from me who had a brother-in-law that was possessed with the devil and was kept chained in a tight room. Numbers had been there to administer to him but had no effect. I went there to preach on the after part of the day. The man got loose and was breaking down the ceiling. They had been in the habit of getting a very strong man to help on such occasions and were about to send for him in a hurry. I desired them to let me see him before they did. They were afraid he would come out and kill some of them. With much persuasion I got them to unlock the door to his room. Such rough, profane language, and threatening I had never heard before. They said he was dangerous, but I entreated them to let me open the door. I had full confidence that I could handle him with the help of God. I was satisfied that they did not understand my intentions. I looked through the crack of the door. When he caught my eye he said, "Old Pulsipher I knew you of old!" At that instant I burst the door open. He stood with a sharp stick in his hand drawn ready to stab me. Although he was a stout man and full of violent passion, I closed in with him so quick that he did not know which side was up till he lay on his back and I holding him while they bound him again. The family seemed surprised. Before I left the next morning the man, whose name was Samuel Newcomb, wished me to come and stay with him one year. He would give large wages for he said that I could handle him with ease and he could leave his family at home with more safety. He was a man of considerable business and property to manage. I asked him if he wished to gather up to Kirtland with the church. He said he would if he could sell his farm. He wanted $1600 for it. We arranged for him to go the next spring and I took the whole care of the wild man. I recollect at one time upon the matter of his feeding he flew into a rage all at once and broke loose. I was at work in the barn. A messenger came running for me and said the man was killing his mother. I found him in a dreadful rage. I rushed into the room and took him by the shoulder and shook him and said, "Sam, what are you about?" He, in a moment, left his raging, dropped his head and became docile until he was bound again. Later on we counseled with the old Father Smith and he advised us to get seven Elders of report and fast and pray till he was delivered. We consulted the family who had not kept the Word of Wisdom, but they agreed to do it. We, therefore, took the man, loosened his hands, administered to him in a room by ourselves and I do not remember of him a raving spell after that for six months. The devil entered him again. We were called for the second time. The family had promised to keep the covenants but found they had returned to the old practice of breaking the Word of Wisdom. We, therefore, sent a message to Father Smith. He said if they would not keep the covenants we might go about our business and let them all go to Hell together. (1836)

I labored to support my family and in the fall of 1837 I went to Canada on a mission, raised a branch of 29 members, returned 28 January 1838 to Kirtland and was ordained to the Council of Seventies. I took a mission Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers. Preached considerable. Established a branch with some persecution. One day I stopped my carriage at the post before a large house where I saw a number of women looking out the window. They were entire strangers to me. The woman met me at the door and called me "Brother." Then one woman said she had a vision and she saw a Mormon Elder drive up to the yard. She observed the horse and carriage and person and as she saw me she knew me. We called a meeting and I preached there that night.

The season following (1838) there arose a great persecution. The Saints that were able escaped in the best manner they could. Joseph was carried away in a box nailed on an ox-sled to save his life. Old Father Smith was taken out of a window in the night and sent away horseback. After most of the Saints were gone to Missouri I remained in Kirtland with about four of the Presidents of Seventies. We continued to hold our meetings in the Temple. While we were at the meeting on Sunday we took a notion to put our property together and remove in that way and when we had made the calculation we felt a great flow of the spirit of God. Not withstanding the great inconvenience, we labored under for want of means to move ourselves and many poor that were yet remaining that had neither clothing nor teams to go with. When they heard that we were going together and would help one another they wanted to join us and get out of that Hell of persecution. We could not neglect them for all there was against them was that they were poor and could not help themselves. We continued to receive them till we got between five and six hundred on our hands. According to our covenant we had them to move or stay there with them, so we found we had a job on our hands. We counseled together from time to time on the subject and came to the conclusion that we could not effect the purpose short of the miraculous power of God by the power of the priesthood. We concluded it best to go into the Temple in the attic story and pray that our Father would open the way and give us means to gather with the Saints in Missouri which was near one thousand miles.

One day while we were on our knees in prayer, I saw a messenger, apparently like an old man with gray hair down to his shoulders. He was a very large man, near seven feet tall, drest (dressed) in a white robe down to his ankles. He looked on me then turned his eyes on the others and then to me and spoke and said, "Be one and you shall have enough." This gave us great joy. We immediately advised the brethren to scatter and work for anything that they could get that would be useful in moving to a new country. Some went to making staves to sell on the lakeshore among which I was one. I think it was in the month of March that I was at work in the woods. About nine o’clock in the morning there appeared to be a mighty rattling on pebble stone. It continued to draw nearer till I discovered it to be in the air and as it drew nearer I heard the sound of a steam boat puff. It passed immediately over head and went on about one mile to Kirtland Temple. There it appeared in the form of a steamboat loaded with passengers with Elder Beamen, who was President of the Elders. He had anointed them a few months before, but had been dead a short time. He was in the bow of the boat singing and swinging his hat til it came in front of the Temple. It then divided in two parts; the one was white and the other black. The white went west and black went north.

The explanation of the phenomenon we saw with much clearness was that within a few months from that time there was a division of the authorities of the church. A number of the Twelve and First Presidents of the Seventies descended and led many after them. But the pure in heart went west. As we were attending to our prayers in the Temple from time to time there was a curious circumstance transpired. A Methodist meeting house stood a few rods from the Temple which took fire one night, burning to ashes the same night. There was a brand of fire thrown into the Temple at a window, but went out. Most of the people being very hostile, the mob laid the charge of burning of the house to the Council of Seventies. There was no doubt they fired it themselves but we were innocent and trust in God. We continued our course steadily along and paid no attention to them.

There was a universal determination that we should never leave that place in a company. They knew as well as we that the poor could not go out alone; therefore, they had a deep plot laid for our destruction. We knew where our hope was grounded and kept our steady course, preparing to go out in a company well organized. But as I related to the burning of the house, they raged to a great extent because most of them supposed that we had actually done it.

But as the Lord dictated the great leader of that mob who had been a Mormon and well calculated to carry out his devilish designs was held by the power of God so that he had a vision and saw those that fired that house and seemed to be greatly astonished for awhile and then met with mob and informed them that it was not the council that burned the house. He knew who it was but dared not tell on account of the law. He could not prove only by vision which they would not believe. They still swore vengeance on us but he swore by all the Gods that lived that he would have revenge on them if they lost one hair off our heads. He had a large store of goods and could swear and get drunk. He had some influence with them so that we were preserved by the hand of God. We obtained money and clothed the company. On the fourth day this man that led the mob invited me to take all our teams and company and camp in a clover field which was one foot high. I thanked him and embraced the officer. The next day we all went out in order as we said we would in the beginning, with about 600 persons, 65 teams and 70 cows, $400 in cash and about $1000 in merchandise and goods.

After we were gone, the mob, held at bay while we were there, were in great rage and swore they would follow and destroy us, but the man who had befriended us swore if they did he would follow them with a sufficient force to drive the to Hell. They sent spies after us and found we were prepared with guns and ammunition. Our guards informed them that we should use it to good advantage if they molested us.

Nothing transpired for some weeks until we got to Dutton and got out of money. The people would take nothing but money for our expenses and at a high price too. We went into council and prayed to God for money and provisions. The Lord sent a turnpike jobber of 1200 dollars. He was pleased with the job and wanted us to do another job. It was then very dry and the wells so low that it was difficult to get water for our animals in the dry part of the country if we should go on. But we inquired of the Lord for what was best and we were impressed to go on, not knowing what we should do for drink. The day following there fell such a flood of water that the low places in the country were full and we got along very well. When we got in to Illinois a few of our company stopped. The remainder of us went on; continually hearing reports that there was war in Missouri and if we went on we should be killed by the mob. But we went in good order, keeping guards all the time. When we arrived within five miles of Far West, which was the metropolis of the church in Missouri, there Joseph and Hyrum met us, greatly pleased that we had arrived with so large a company. They conducted us on to Far West and we camped around the temple cellar as they had it dug. In the morning, the 1st of October, 1838, Joseph came to see me and said he wished to take that company and go to Di-Ahman, Daviess, about 25 miles north which would take us two days and advised us to guard our wagons during the night. I informed him that his advice was good but we had not been without a guard since we left Kirtland. One of our company by the name of Cary stayed there and in a few weeks had his brains beat out in his own wagon by the mob. We went on to the place appointed and found a few brethren there surrounded by numerous mobs, being greatly rejoiced to see us come and we were as glad to get through for we had been on the road with a large, poor company from the 5th of July to the 3rd of October. We suffered the perils of a hard journey for near one thousand miles among hostile people but the Lord had brought us to try us to see what our faith was made of. We had got home where we could locate our families and prepare to build up Zion. Therefore, we sold our loose property for improvement subject to free nations rights.

The people, being much opposed to our faith, decided to drive us out of the country and obtain their farms back again that we had paid them for. To carry out this they began to burn their homes and then go to the governor and swear that we drove them out of their settlements and burned their buildings.

Daviess County was a beautiful place situated on Grand River, first rate land and plenty of good timber where we supposed there had been an ancient city of the Nephites as the hewn stones were already in piles, also, the mound or altar built by Father Adam where he went to offer sacrifices when he was old, leaning upon his staff, prophesying the most noted things that should take place down to the last generation; therefore, it was called Adam-ondi-Ahman.

There we stayed about a month, being continually annoyed by mobs and thieves stealing everything that they could lay their hands upon that belong to our church. In the time there I was assisted to build 16 houses and the longest I lived in one was four days. I had a large family and an aged mother. I think I never slept many nights while I was there without having my sword and pistols by my bed and was frequently called by the sound of the bugle to use and defend the people from the mobs. Yet all the while we expected to stay there and by faith and work retain our places till one day there came two messengers from Far West and informed us that Joseph with others of authorities of the church at Far West were delivered into the hands of the mob and that they (the mob) had 3000 men and the word was from Joseph to us that they would be likely to come here soon. Advised us to lay away our arms, go to our work and submit to anything that they would say. This struck us with a great depression of spirit, not knowing how to comprehend the ways of the Lord. We had expected to stay there, locate or families, and to preach the Gospel, but we were disappointed and left in a perfect state of suspense. But we knew nothing than to abide by the word of the Prophet. In this conflict of feeling I walked away from the company where I had received the above information toward a grove and said in the anguish of my soul, "Lord what does all these things mean?" The answer was instantaneous through unexpected. "Be still and know that I am God." In a moment I was at rest and happy in my condition. I returned immediately back to the company that I had left and said to them, "Have no fear, for God will provide a way for our escape." So we trusted in Him. But if we had not received word from Joseph, we should have, very likely, sent hundreds of them to Hell across lots for there were about 130 of us armed. There was but one place where they would be likely to cross the river in line exactly in front of our cannon, well loaded with small slugs of iron. We had not only our houses, lands, wives, and children, but also the house of God to fight for. But the words, "Be still and know that I am God." were with us. Therefore, we were quiet, bearing the afflictions that were laid upon us. We went to our labors. Soon after this I, with about 30 persons went across the river three miles to gather corn, when 800 of the mob was seen coming upon us. They halted and sent a messenger to inform us that we were their prisoners. I happened to be on a load the nearest to them. They directed their attention to me and said we must go with them. I observed to them that we were gathering for our families and cattle which they were there in view of. They then said we might fill our wagons, get some boys to drive them home and we go with them.

They went about a mile and halted. We were surrounded by a strong guard for some time then discharged and sent home to await their trip into town. We had not gone more 50 or 100 rods before we heard a volley of guns fired. I think from fifty to one hundred. The balls came there among us. We looked around and saw a company supposed to be one hundred men parade a little to the south of the main camp. They also gave a second shot. We kept a sturdy walk as though nothing had happened for they hurt none of us.

We went home the same day in Di-Ahman, took all arms from the people and then put a strong guard around us. In that time we were often insulted by scoundrels in the shape of men which brought us near a fight, but the commander stopped it. However, he prowled around there for a number of days and then gave us ten days to get out of that place or the mob would be let loose upon us. This had been the case all the time, but now we had nothing to defend ourselves with. Besides that, there were many poor people that had no teams and many widows that had nothing but small children. I immediately got my horses shod and took my families, a widow and family, another family all in one load and moved to Far West then returned for another family. This was among the last that went out while the mobs were prowling about stealing all they could find. Although I was alone that night, I lay down by the side of my horses and saved them and went the next day and got another family and carried them to Far West. This was the last of November. We were all destitute of grain or feed for our teams. Our fields of corn were 20 miles off among the mobs as was also what few cattle we had. The most of our corn was destroyed before we could get it. We, therefore, had a hard living thru the winter.

After I had obtained a little meal for my family I went away up to the Platt country with my team to get work for money to move out of the state in the spring as the edicts of the Governor was that we should never raise any more crops in that state. I obtained some money and returned to my family. But while I was gone I was obliged to stay at a mob tavern one night alone. They were very hostile. I did not like their appearance but I was obliged to stay there or run the risk of freezing on the great cold prairie.

Therefore, I had to watch as well as pray but in the latter part of the night I heard people in the lower part of the house in much commotion. I heard them say they had never seen such things before. They seemed to be much astonished at what they saw in the heavens. I raised myself up in bed and looked out. There was a bright circle around the moon with a very bright half circle at the side. There was a very bright spot at the side of that nearly as big as the sun. Then another apparent sun in the northwest with another in the southwest which gave a very extraordinary appearance. This gave them such a fright that they could pay no attention to me so I went in peace.

I prepared to move to Illinois. I took my horse and rode to Richmond to get my gun that they took from me at Di-Ahman in the war. I got the gun and moved in March. My mother was buried there near the Plum Creek on the divide on 2 December 1838.

On my move from Missouri I lost one horse. My son-in-law, Horace Burgess, lost one too and had to stay among strangers with my daughter who had given birth to a child on the prairie. But before I got back my other horse laid down and died. So we had one horse between two families to move from among our enemies. However, I came across William Barton whom I had baptized in Canada a few years before. He was one of the most noble and spirited young men that ever lived on earth. As soon as he learned my condition, he obtained horses for us so we got out of Illinois about the first of April. I took one horse in company with Steven Fisk, a brother who had just come out of Missouri, and rode up the Mississippi River as far as Lyma at the east to a piece of timber about 12 miles square called Bear Creek Timber.

In the mist of that I found William Burgess, Horace’s father, living there in his wagon. He invited us to come there and stop with him. I felt unable to hire a house or farm in as much as rent was very high and I was very poor. This wilderness had many wild animals in it of various kinds and was very handsome timber. He said if I would stay he would be glad but he wouldn’t stay alone. I told him I would try my luck with him, but Brother Fisk died the following season with most of his family.

I returned to Gurney on the Mississippi to my family, took them with William Burgess and his family and went to a selected place about 25 miles. With my bare hands I built three houses, cleared 13 acres of land and put it into crops. We had nothing to live on till the crops were ripe. Brother Burgess and the boys were strong to work out but I was not able to do so on account of the exposure that I had past. Therefore I could not do a days work in a day. I knew not how to obtain food for my family and while hesitating upon these things I dreamed that I was making boxes and measures. I also dreamed how to make a frame to turn them in and that my women and children were making baskets that I went to sell.

In the morning I went and found some excellent timber for that purpose and made the frame according to the pattern that I had seen and I also found some timber suitable for baskets. The women went to work according to their strength with me. We soon obtained a small load and I went into the settlement and sold them directly for every kind of provisions that we wanted to live upon and some money. In this way we got along till harvest.

This season some of our neighbors from Nauvoo came for help due to sickness and informed us that there weren’t enough well ones to take care of the sick. I sent my daughter and sister to help out. I promised them that I’d come to conference and see them. When the time came I took my carriage and went up. The window curtains were all drawn at the house when I got there so I knocked at the door. A faint voice answered. Upon entering I found a large family and every person was laying prostate. My daughter was the last one that came down and she had been down about one week, having had the whole family to nurse night and day she could not endure the strain. When she heard my voice she sprang from the bed and said, "Father you have come. I want to go home." I told her to get ready and I would go and look for my sister. When I found her she was in the same situation. I put a bed into the carriage and went home the same day. I nursed them three months before I could heal them. It was thought that my daughter would die but I did not give her up. I was called to the bed one day to see her close her eyes in death. I saw her apparently breathing her last. At that instant the spirit of God came up me. I said, "Mariah, do you want to live to raise a family, to keep the commandments of God, and do all you can to build up Zion?" She instantly opened her eyes and said she did. I said to her, "Then you shall live." That hour she sat up in bed and immediately got well as did my sister.

After we had lived in that place near two years, Joseph requested the First Presidents of the seventies to come to Nauvoo. I located in its vicinity, made a farm, lived comfortably, and assisted in building the Temple. But the Missouri mobs were continually seeking the life of Brother Smith. I think there had been some forty raisings against him without success. Finally they came to the conclusion that the law could not reach him but powder and balls should. Therefore, the organized a mob of about 200 men put him in Carthage Jail with Brother Richards, Hyrum Smith and John Taylor. The mob came and broke the jail, shot Joseph and Hyrum, and shot four balls into John Taylor. The fourth saved his life by striking his watch which was in his vest pocket. After Joseph fell dead one of the furrians made a move to take off his head, but a light shone around him (Joseph) that struck him with fear. Therefore, they flew in every direction and disappeared. Our brethren brought them home and we buried the dead and restored the wounded.

The mob expected us to rise in battle against them. We thought it best to keep still and so we continued our work on the Temple. It was finished and we got our endowments. At this time most of the twelve were absent on missions. Sidney Rigdon, who aspired for the Presidency, came and called the church together. He presented his claim for the presidency, but the twelve soon came home and appeared on the stand at the day appointed for the choosing. Sidney made his plea. Brigham Young began to speak and at that time I sat with my back towards him, as did many others. When Brigham Young spoke he spoke with the voice of Joseph. We turned around to see Brigham speaking in Joseph’s voice and beheld Joseph’s mantle that had fallen on him. The people understood it and the same Brigham stood at the head of the twelve. Therefore, the Church turned to him.

Persecution continually waxed against the church. They thought it best to go to a more secluded land. In January 1846 I had notice to be ready at three days notice to leave on account of so many attempts to destroy the church. At length I had the notice and started with a good team the 2nd of February. I crossed the Mississippi River and went as far as Sugar Creek till the cold weather broke.

With about 500 and the heads of the church I went back once, gave my son orders to sell what property he could. I took the family and told him to follow. As soon as the spring opened, we went on from Sugar Creek but the streams and tempest opposed our march till late in the season.

I frequently went forward to pioneer the way. I organized places for the poor to stop and those who were not able to go any farther. In May I took my team and went back to meet my family. I found them in Lee County with two teams, a few cows and a few sheep. My sacrifice there was about two thousand dollars.

We went on and crossed the Mississippi River that season, established a place called Winter Quarters. That fall and winter, which was 1846-47 the church suffered exceedingly. When we got there we found so many sick and dying by exposure that I took my team and what help I could raise and drew timber four miles and built six houses. Then I was obliged to go down to Missouri for provisions. I was gone six weeks in the winter, camping out, exposed to all storms that are common in that season of the year. I brought what I could. When I got home I was so far exhausted by exposure that I could not walk one step without crutches. I then sent my boys and I took care of the cattle which amounted to 18 head. Many times I went on my crutches to get on my horse and rode all day to save my cattle from the Indians who were continually killing them.

That winter was a sorrowful time for the church. Five hundred of our young men were demanded by the general government through the influence of old Tom Benton. He was a noted mobber in the first Missouri persecutions and was then in the Senate. This left the church with old men, women and children while the husbands were fighting the battle of the United States. There was not enough to take care of the sick and dying. My boys continued to team through the winter till both came home sick. John was laid on the bed and was near the gate of death for a long time when I called in to see him breathe his last. He was taken with the mumps, what many people thought to be a certain sign of death. He looked very much like it to be sure. When I came in the doctor and my family stood around the bed. I called to him and he opened his eyes. I said, "John, you are not going to die now. I cannot spare you. Now you must get well to help us move through the mountains." He immediately began to vomit a large quantity of the most filthy matter I ever saw come from any person’s stomach. It was as black as ink. From that hour he began to recover and soon got able to drive a team.

In the spring of 1847 Brother Brigham organized a company of about 50 wagons and we started for Salt Lake. I was advised to take ten wagons and go ahead to assist in making roads, but such storms followed us as I never saw. The highest and driest land in the country was soaked with water so that it was difficult to get along with wagons. One morning I got on my horse and rode back a few miles to see how the company was getting along. I saw a man ahead walking with a box coat on under a rubber. When I came up to him I found it was Brother Brigham. I asked him how they were getting along and he said first rate. He put his hands in his pockets and they were full of water. Parley P. and Orson Pratt and myself went forward to look for a location for the poor and such as could not go on. We found a grove of timber and called it Garden Grove. It was convenient place for a settlement. I then unloaded my wagon and delivered my load of flour and bacon and went back to look after my family. I met them not far from the Mississippi River. One boy got his leg broken and one man his arm in my company. I set them and they soon got well.

We arrived in the valley about the 22nd of September 1848 with all our stock except the sheep. We lost them at Winter Quarters. We immediately prepared to build. I found grain scarce and hard to get. John Kneff was building a mill, the only one in the valley. I took three cows to pay his workmen that I might get grain after he got his mill to running. I asked him for $20 in grain, but he said he could not let anyone have half that sum and that was not half what I had paid for. This made me feel very disagreeable because I had a large family and three other families of my friends that had no way of helping themselves, and money would not buy the grain.

I thought on it one night and then came to the conclusion that I would build a mill and take part of the toll of the grain that was in the valley accordingly. I rallied my help, went onto a mill site, dug a hole in the bank to live through the winter.

About the first of December we commenced to get timber. We had no food for ourselves or our cattle. But we continued our labor with about half rations till the first of March. Then we got the gristmill started and timber out for a sawmill. When done I ground for 1/16 while the other ground for 1/12th. From that time on we had bread to eat with all our families. I have seen the hand of God in preserving ourselves and our cattle while the snow was three feet deep in the canyon where we got the timber and some of the time more than one foot in the valley. We had not as much fodder as could be carried in one load. And when I looked upon the circumstance, I could not comprehend it in any other way but the marvelous power of God in sustaining them.

1850 was a hard season for many. After we got our mill running we had enough but lived prudent on account of so many that had none. Indian meal would command $5.00 per bushel and so many poor had none that I sold all I had to spare at $1.50 per bushel though I was offered $5.00 by those that were going to California. Their gold would not buy it of me when so many were starving. Some came to me and said that they had not had bread in their house for six weeks so I gave them some bran. This scarce time caused people to scratch for life to raise grain. The crickets were troublesome and destroyed many crops in 1851, but in '52’ the gulls came and destroyed them according to the word of the Prophet.

We built a house 34 by 30 on the corner of block 82 on Jordan Street. The next season we built a large barn and made a farm over Jordan about two miles. There was nothing there of very extra ordinary nature. Brother Brigham preached continually to bring the church to obedience. But the people were growing rich and careless until about the time of the October Conference in 1856. At this time Brother Brigham said that the Lord would wait no longer. He did not define the chastisement God would inflict, but suffice to say I had a clear testimony that some uncommon event was near at hand. I was aware that I had become too dull and careless. Brother Kimball called on me in public to wake up to my duty. I began to call more fervently on the Lord. I soon saw that Brother Kimball was right and that I was holding a high and responsible station in the church and was asleep with many others. Brother Grant, who was one of Brigham’s council, was authorized to preach repentance to the people and it was a good idea. I, with the associates of my council, went before Brigham and informed him that if he knew of any others that would take our places he had better do so for the interest of the Kingdom. He was at liberty to do so but he told us to go and magnify our calling.

There was much confessing among the people of their faults. Brother Brigham gave some strong prophetic language relative to the United States of America. After hearing this the President and Congress became very hostile to us and sent an army to bring us to or destroy us. We thought it best to keep them on the outside of our villages because we did not like their hostile spirit nor their habits. So we sent a few of our young men to meet with them which brought them to a stand for further consideration. In the spring following, all the north part of the territory removed themselves to the south and the army passed through to their quarters at Camp Floyd. Previous to this the President and the Congress saw their mistake in sending the army here. Not withstanding the charges with treason and other offenses they had made on us, the sent Commissioners here forgave us of our sins against them and wished us peace and tranquility. Accordingly we all moved back to our possessions peaceably.

In the meantime we were destitute of clothing. But speculators followed the army and brought more goods to the valley than was ever brought before. The people were decently clothed and we considered this the hand of God to supply us.

Evils followed the army. There was a herd of abominable characters. They lied, stole, gambled, robbed until it seemed as though they were determined to break up all the law and order in the Territory. They brought with them liquor which still furthered them in their wickedness, especially the rising generation. This gave us some trouble to keep the church in order. Brother Brigham preached continually to bring the church to obedience, but they were now growing rich and careless.

We had some trouble with the Indians, but nothing in consequence of our being driven from the United States. I think all the wars we have had with the Indians have not as yet made us so much trouble as the Armies sent from the United States who have come here pretending to defend us from the Indians.

I still continued my labors in town and on my farm, what time I could get. I had much labor to attend to among the Seventies, remaining councilor. I was frequently out from four to five evenings a week besides day meetings.

In March 1857 I married Martha Hughes, daughter of James and Ann Picton Hughes. We had five children.

I discovered that with age that I had approached that it began to wear upon my constitution, I was advised by some to give up my Presidency and let a younger man take it that would be better qualified to attend to the labors involved upon me. I was getting along in age so I gave up my position, but remained in the body of the Seventies. It was a matter of indifference with me.

However, the southern mission that had been in action for some time had some influence with me, partly on account of its necessity and partly on account of some of my boys that were called there. Therefore, I said I did not know that I would take all my family with me. I sold my property and my boys heard about it and came to help me move. So in the fall of 1860 I moved to Shoal Creek where my boys were keeping a herd for the southern people. I found it to be a very healthy section and enjoyed myself very much, even though it was a very obscure place and a great distance from the white in the midst of roving red men.

I will now reflect back to the time our family meetings convened. The first was in February 1855. I called my children together at my house in Salt Lake at this meeting and said, "I want to instruct you a little and give such advice which I hope you will remember. First get the spirit of the Lord and keep it. The most of you have the Priesthood and you will be likely to use it to govern your families and bring up your children.

"When a man has a number of good children he loves all of them. If the destroyer comes to take one of them which will he give, most likely the one he cannot keep, of course. Which child can’t you keep by the prayer of faith and the authority of the Priesthood? Pray mighty to God let your thoughts be raised in prayer day and night, that you may have the spirit of the Lord to be with you. Never speak ‘til you know what you are going to say. Never whip a child in anger be sure that the spirit of the Lord dictates you when you groom your children. Never let your girls go with men that you do not know for some men have the fever of seducing; therefore, beware who they go with. Some women think if their husbands get another wife they cannot love them any more, but they are under great mistake for he can love one hundred as well as the sun can shine upon each of them in a clear day – if God requires forever. Why is it so, because it is God’s order. A man may love his wives just in proportion to their acts of kindness to him. I beg of you mothers to take care of your children while they are with you. I now will give way for you to speak." Then each child would bear their testimonies. These meetings were held regular once a year and recorded until his death.

He was instrumental in building the town of Hebron. He died January 1, 1872 at the age of 84 in Hebron, closing another chapter in the Book of Life for one of God’s chosen and noble sons.

Zerah Pulsipher was the father of 17 children at the time of his death. He died as a member in full fellowship in the Church.



ZERA PULSIPHER'S SERMON
by Wilford Woodruff

The first sermon that I ever heard in this Church was in 1833, by old father Zera Pulsipher, who died in the south, after having lived to be considerably over eighty years old. That sermon was what I had prayed for from my childhood. When I heard it I had a testimony for myself that it was true. I received it with every sentiment of my heart. He preached in a schoolhouse upon a farm that we owned in Oswego County, New York. He opened the door for any remarks to be made. The house was crowded. The first thing I knew I stood on top of a bench before the people, not knowing what I got up for. But I said to my neighbors and friends, "I want you to be careful what you say as touching these men (there were two of them) and their testimony, for they are servants of God, and they have testified unto us the truth-- principles that I have been looking for from my childhood.

I went forth and was baptized. I was ordained a teacher. I was always sorry that I was not a deacon first, for I had a desire to bear the priesthood in its various degrees, as far as I was worthy. I had a desire for years, not only to hear the gospel, but to have the privilege and power of preaching it to my fellow men. I was a miller by trade, and I spent many a midnight hour in the mill calling upon the Lord for light and truth, and praying that I might hear the gospel of Christ, and be able to teach it to my fellow men. I rejoiced in it when I did receive it.
MS 53:627 (1891). 1

No comments: