Wednesday

Lloyd Joseph Eastley

Born 12 September 1911 in Afton, Wyoming, to Elizabeth Ann Shaw and William Wilford Astle
Married Norma Hatch 14 May 1938 in Logan
Died 29 July 1986 in Provo
Buried in Logan

1920 Census
1930 Census

The following is a personal history Lloyd wrote.

By Lloyd J. Eastley
January 1975

MY LIFE . . .

. . . has been "a bed of roses!" However, "every rose has thorns!" This (latter) I do know for sure!

Often I have felt thorns... and failed to notice and blossoms!

I am the sixth child of William Wilford and Elizabeth Ann Shaw Astle. All of my parents' children are still living (January 1975). I was born in my parents' home at Afton, Wyoming, weighing more than twelve pounds. (My father provided scales and told me several times that the doctor did not read the ounces). The birth certificate reads "12 pounds."

While still an infant, the family (parents and six children) moved to Humbolt County, Nevada, to a town site called Metropolis. Two sisters, Thelma and Vira were born there.

When I was approaching my eighth birthday, the family moved to Rupert, Idaho. At Rupert a bankrupt store venture "cost Papa his shirt" ...and the family moved onward to Providence, Utah. Later at age twelve I commenced an extended span at Logan, Utah. My parents passed away at Logan and I firmly hope to eventually have my mortal tabernacle rest near theirs.

After the Idaho venture, the W. W. Astle family never fully recovered. Contributing incidents were numerous. Many, many people distorted the name "Astle" using it as a crutch for teasing, etc. My whole family floundered when I backtracked into genealogy and added "Eastley" to Lloyd Joseph Astle.

The above name change was made when Jay and Lee were toddlers and the results have been rewarding. We, Lloyd and Norma, do have four very normal, righteous children, and grandchildren will soon be numerous! Norma was promised "righteous" children in her patriarchal blessing many years ago and her blessing has become my blessing.

I, having abandoned all plans for a normal life, was tapped on my shoulder at a basketball game and told, "Lloyd, I'll introduce you to my sister if you'll let her stand in front of you." Things were not favorable that evening but we labored into romance and finally marriage.

Gosh, we have bounced all around the country but Norma and the kids have make life wonderful.

Currently, Verena is approaching a college B.A. degree. The boys are beyond college and prospering in many ways.

.Jay has been teaching school and is currently a Bishop's counselor, having once been a high councilman, etc., etc.

Lee is an electronics man, also a top grade Mormon.

Evan, a computer man, does push electrons around knowledgeably.

Norma Hatch and I (Lloyd Joseph Eastley) married on 14 May, 1938, just before I commenced summer employment at Challis, Custer County, Idaho. After the following winter (at Logan) we went to New England to help with the hurricane damage.

In 1940 employment at Yellowstone Park commenced and continued through 1946, interrupted by a Navy draft during WWII.

In 1946 employment at Ogden, Utah, in a Postal Civil Service job commenced. By taking educational leave (a Vet program) I did obtain a B.S. in Education.

A teaching position at the Federal Indian School was obtained near Brigham City. While at Brigham City a supplemental teaching degree in Industrial Education was obtained from USU in Logan in 1953?

In 1957? while in Ogden on a student orientation trip I met an old boss, F.W. Woods. The meeting provided transfer into the Forest Service. Assignments to Reno, Nevada, St. Anthony, Idaho, and Montpelier, Idaho, occurred.

In 1968 I retired and moved to Provo, Utah, and after earning a Social Security qualification and launching the boys, I have retired for sure.

Signed,
Lloyd Joseph Eastley

PS: Church assignments as Melchizedek Priesthood teacher, Sunday School Superintendent, and Bishop's counselor have been blessings!

PPS: I also have been an Elders Quorum President in Brigham City. Also, Stake Missionary in Montpelier.

No comments: