Tuesday

Connie Nisson

Connie was born on October 12, 1941 to Afton May Christiansen and Elven Howard Nisson. These are some things she wrote.



My birth, which is sacred to me, occurred Oct. 22, 1941. I was blessed by my father in the Holladay
Ward where my parent lived. It was January of 1942, but I know not the day as Mother and Daddy
never received a certificate of blessing.

I was baptized Oct. 23, 1949 by Daddy and confirmed the same day by Daddy also. That was a thrilling
day for me. I remember the prayer meeting before I was baptized and sitting by Daddy and the proud
feeling I had. Then off we went to be baptized and I was the very first person down into the baptismal
font and there, though I was really quite frightened I had the wonderful feeling that goes with going
baptized. Later when I was confirmed that evening I again underwent the marvelous feeling of receiving
the Holy Ghost while my father stood over me giving me a blessing.

The first time I ever bore my testimony there I was sitting on the first row. I suddenly decided to bear
my testimony as everyone else was bearing theirs. I stood up but I don’t remember much of what I
said expect that I was thankful for my parents and two sisters. After that once it took a lot of courage to
again stand on my feet to thank the Lord for what I have.

Daddy was bishop of our ward for as long as I remember before we moved. Really it was just five years
but the wonderful memory and experiences that go with it I shall never forget. I was always known,
through my dad, everywhere I went and given special attention. But that wasn’t the most important
thing about Daddy’s being bishop for all the many wonderful things I learned will always be a benefit to
me.

The first time, and so far the only time, I was baptized for the dead is an experience very sacred to me.
First we were all questioned by the stake presidency and then told to be at the chapel at 6 a.m. as it is
quite far from Burley to the temple in our district. We gathered together and my girlfriend and I were
the first ones out in the bus and got the seats we wanted. We took our lunches along and left them in
the bus till we returned. One of the ladies in the ward went into the temple waiting room with us and
directed games for us to play. We were told that in the last 6 yr. only one group had said absolutely
nothing while in the actual room where the font was. We were determined to make it two groups and
we succeeded as no one said a word while waiting for or being baptized. When I entered that font room
the wonderful feeling and spirit was overjoyous to me. I was baptized for and freed 15 spirits. At the
time I didn’t realize exactly the wonderful thing which I had the privilege of doing.

---------------


Three Christmases ago Santa placed under the Christmas Tree with the name of Connie places on it, a
camera.

Since then I have taken my camera on vacations, trips, outside my own home and also got pictures
of my little brother to follow his growing up. I bought a photograph album, painted it and kept all my
pictures in it. Now the pleasure I have received is egging me on to keep up with my hobby, of picture
taking and other aspects of photography.

---------------

During the summer and fall of 1940 my parents decided to build a home out in Holladay. It was
finished just about Christmas and they wanted a baby to go with the new house.

So at 8:20 p.m. Wednesday, October 22, 1941 I was born. Although I was to be born in the
Cottonwood Maternity Home, plans were changed and I arrived at the Latter Day Saint Hospital.
My father had been pacing the corridors all day long and he was covered from his face to his neck
with hives. My but he was glad to see me.

I was a healthy, happy baby with an older sister who loved to play with me as a doll. Then in 1943
we moved to Burley, Idaho, and I wanted to explore the town. It was then at about the age of one-
and-a-half that I had my first experience as a runaway. That was the beginning and end of my fun
for mother decided that it was too hard on her for me to explore. But I had a lot of fun tied to the
clothesline playing in the back yard.

Soon after this we moved to the other side of town. The home we bought was very nice and the
yard was the crowning glory. It was really large and daddy went right to work fixing it up. He put
in a wading pool in which my friends and I had lots of fun. By then I had a little sister and one day
I heard her cry out. I still remember seeing her face looking up at me from the bottom of the pool
which was filled with water. Mother and Sandra (my older sister) came running out. Vickie wasn’t
very badly hurt, but that put an end to the wading pool. Soon after that daddy filled it in.

I was about three when I met my first friends across the street. Mother was sitting on the steps and
we saw Judy, Catherine, and Ronald Buttars playing across the street. Mother told me to go and
tell them my name and if it would be all right if I stayed to play. When I got over there I introduced
myself but they wouldn’t tell me their names. I started to cry and went home. Mother sent me
back. I came back crying again so Mother went over and asked them to tell me their names. We
have been friends ever since.

I started school at the Southwest Elementary School. My first grade teacher’s name was Mrs.
Garrard but I could never remember it so I’d come home and ask my little sister.

I believe I liked fourth grade teacher the best of all my teachers, for although she was a little
woman she was an excellent teacher and lots of fun.

One day I was over playing with Judy and Daddy started to call me. He called and called but my
hearing must have been defective for I surely didn’t hear him. Daddy found a way to remedy that.
He found a small switch which was bit to a little girl. After that my hearing improved considerably.

I guess Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I always liked the ward party when
Santa made his appearance and always at the precise moment. Then he would pass out candy
and nuts. One Christmas Eve the family was sitting around the fireplace when in walked Santa,
laughing telling us how glad he was to see the family. The next year he came again and this
time he told us we better get to bed. Although it was only around 6:30 p.m., Vickie and I jumped
up and went right into bed. It took a lot of persuading to get us to rejoin the family for the rest of
the evening. One Christmas Eve the electricity went out and the family was around the fireplace
singing songs and telling Christmas stories. One Christmas morning my older sister and I went
from her room through the kitchen and listened at the door. We could hear Santa rumbling around
out in the front room so we back to bed on the run. Christmas morning is always fun what with
opening gifts and looking at what Santa brought.

Birthdays always are lots of fun. I remember one birthday when I had invited the neighborhood.
One of the boys came lugging a great big box. It wasn’t very heavy but it surely was large. It was
the mystery of the party. When we finally got around to opening the gifts Tommy’s was the first
one opened by popular demand. It as a doll trunk which just thrilled me through and through. I
always loved that doll trunk.

Soon after my 12th birthday Daddy was transferred to Salt Lake City. The moved to Bountiful and we lived in an apartment, then we moved to our present home. I spent most of the 6th grade here. In the seventh grade I was put on the student council which helped me in many ways. Now I’m in the 8th grade and enjoying school, MIA, and my friends.


No comments: