Wednesday

Andrew Smith

Born 4 September 1708/9 in Hopewell to Sarah Stout and Andrew Smith
Married Ann Mershon
Andrew-Jemima-Penelope-Eli-Charles-Charles William-Fenly-Clifford 
Andrea-Jemima- Anna- Nancy-Charles-Charles William-Fenly-Clifford
Died 20 March 1794 in Hopewell Township
Assumed to be buried in the Hunt Farm Burial Ground

Here is Andrew's will:

I Andrew Smith of Hopewell in the County of Hunterdon in the Western Division of the State of New Jersey yeoman this Sixteenth day of October ANNO, one thousand seven hundred and eighty four. Being advanced in years but of sound mind and memory, God be blessed therefor, calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing all men once must die do make this my last Will and Testament and as touching such worldly estate as its pleased God to bless me with in this life. I give and dispose of in the following manner, Viz, it is my will that all my just debts and funeral charges be fully paid and discharged by my Executors hereafter named. Imprimis, I give and bequeath unto my wife Anna one Negroe girl named Vilet to be forever at her dusposyl, and also a good comfortable and reasonable mentenance for her and her servant, at all times and in all things necessary for her comfort during the life of my said wife to be provided and made convenient out of my Estate by my Executors hereafter named. I give and devise to my eldest son Charles Smith all that Plantation I purchased of Jonathan Smith (Taylor) where _____on lives bounded Easterly by land of my Brother Timothy Smith, Southerly by lands of Isaac Larowe and Cornell, Westerly by lands of my Brother Jonathan Smith, Northerly by land of Benjamin Price and Stephen Moore containing by estimation _____ acres be the same more or less with the appurtenances and profits thereof with one good bed and beding for and during his natural life (but if he lives to have lawful issue of his body I do here by devise his legacy jointly to them their heirs and assigns forever). If the profits of the farm should not procure him a reasonable mentenance I do hereby order and require my Execrs. to give such further reasonable supply out of my Estate that his life may be comfortable, and whereas my said son Charles now is and hath been for many years last past deprived of his reason and like to continue. So therefor I do will and order that both his person and Estate be in the care and under the direction of my Execs. hereafter named. Item I give and devise to my daughter, Jemima, one Spanish Pestole to her forever. If it should so happen that my daugher Jemima should become poor and needy in this life I do require my Execrs. to give her reasonable relief out of my Estate. I also give and devise to my daughter Jemima's children that she bear to Benjamin Merril to Wit: Samuel, John, Andrew, William, Charles, Elijah, and Jonathan Merril, Anna McCleary and Penelope Merril to all and each of them soverally fifty pounds a piece to be paid to them respectively in four years after my disceased (or as they come of age afterwards) and I do hereby further will and order that if either of my said grand children aforenamed die leaving lawful issue before this will is in force their children that is to say all the children of the disceased, to the full share of their parent legacy being fifty pounds, share and share alike all to be paid out of my Estate by my Execs. hereafter named. It is my will and order that my old Negroe wench Rene may live with my son Andrew or else where to her own likeing. When all the legacies as above said are paid and the duties injoind on my Execrs. to per form as above required according to the true intent and meaning thereof then I devise all the residue and remainder part of my Estate both real and personable of all kind and nature whatsoever to my son Andrew Smith to be enjoyed by him his heirs and assigns forever. And I do constitute make and appoint the said Andrew Smith, John Smith (Son of Jonathan) and Andrew Hixon Executors of this my last Will and Testament and I do hereby utterly revoke all and every former Will or Testament by me in any wise before this made, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written. Signed sealed and pronounced and declared by the said Andrew Smith as his last Will and Testament in the presents of us the subscribers.

No comments: