Wednesday

Benjamin Merrell 1731-1771

Born about 1731 in Hopewell to Penelope Stout and William Merrell
Married Jemima Smith in the late 1740s
Benjamin-Penelope-Eli-Charles-Charles William-Fenly-Clifford 
Benjamin-Anna- Nancy-Charles-Charles William-Fenly-Clifford
Died 19 June 1771
Buried in Orange County

This website is a great place to explore Benjamin Merrill.  So is this one.  This is the Benjamin who was hanged by the British for leading the Regulators, a group who opposed corrupt local officials.  There is also more information about Benjamin on Jemima's page.

The Merrell plantation was about 5 miles south of Lexington, North Carolina, and was over 1000 acres.  Family tradition says Benjamin was a hardworking and ambitious farmer, gunsmith, and blacksmith.  He also owned an apiary.  They lived about two miles from the Jersey Baptist Church where Benjamin was a deacon.

Benjamin was a captain in the Rowan County militia.  He was a leader in what is known as the War of Regulation and was executed for treason in 1771. Usually someone executed for treason forfeited his property to the Crown, but Benjamin asked that his wife and many children be allowed to keep his land. Morgan Edwards, a Baptist minister and historian, recorded Benjamin's final words:

I stand here exposed to the world as a criminal. My life will soon be a change. God is my comforter and supporter. I am condemned to die for opposing government. All you that are present, take warning by my miserable end, when I shall be hung up as a spectacle before you. My first seducers were Hunter and Gelaspie. They had often solicited me, telling that a settlement only was contended for with regard to publick officers, who, they said, had oppressed the people; and that unless these measures were taken, there would be no remedy or redress hereafter. Thus they pressed me on, by assuring me the disputes (as they called them) then existing might be settled without shedding of blood. I considered this unhappy affair, and thought, possibly, the contentions in the country might be brought to some determination, without injury to any; and in this mind I joined the Regulation. After I had enlisted under the banner of the Regulators, I was ever after pressed to be made a leading man among them; and was one of the number who opposed Col. Weddel with his troops; information prevailing that the Governor was on his march to lay waste this country and destroy its inhabitants, which I now find to be false, and propagated to screen old offenders from justice.

As to my private life, I do not know of any particular charge against me. I received, by the grace of God a change, fifteen years ago; but have, since that time, been a backslider; yet Providence, in which is my chief security, has been pleased to give me comfort, under these evils, in my last hour; and although the halter in now round my neck, believe me, I would not change stations with any man on the ground. All you, who think you stand, take heed lest ye fall. I would be glad to say a few words more before I die. In a few moments, I shall leave a widow and ten children; I entreat that no reflection may be cast on them on my account; and if possible, shall deem it as a bounty, should you, gentlement, petition the Governor and Council, that some part of my estate may be spared for the widow and fatherless; it will be an act of charity, for I have forfeited the whole, by the laws of God and man.

We are descended from Benjamin through his two daughters Penelope and Anna.  Penelope's son Eli and Anna's daughter Nancy married each other.


No comments: